Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Truly Healthy, Sweet and Satisfying Butternut Squash Bisque

Two weeks ago, Lou and I stopped by Panera for dinner before my fall basketball meeting.  The picture of the "Vegetarian Autumn Squash Soup" topped with pumpkin seeds over the register was so inviting, and it was cold that night so I was craving something that would warm my insides! I ordered it and shortly after, devoured it, sopping up all the leave behinds with a warm french roll. It was so delicious and extremely satisfying!

This week, I was craving it. It was chilly out every day, I was wearing plaid and pulled out my scarves and was just like "AHH IT IS FINALLY FALL!" and I wanted that friggen soup from Panera.  However, at something like $7 for 1 1/2 cups was crazy and Louis and I have a vacation coming up that we are putting money aside for so Panera just wasn't making the cut. So I started researching "butternut squash soups" and what I found was a wide variety of soups but so many were made with cream and cheese and butter and FAT! Not interested...

Then I though hmm.. Panera advertises that this soup is "vegetarian" and "healthy".. But is it?

One serving (appx 1 1/2 cups) of Panera's squash soup is 350 calories, with 18g of fat (7g of saturated fat) 1240 mg of sodium, 1g of protein and 31g of sugar! (sourced right from panera.com).

So I found a Paleo recipe, and tailored it to what I was looking for, and it basically came out to be the most delicious soup I have ever tasted. I was a little nervous about how it would taste.. Would it live up to the flavor I got at Panera?? 

Well, it did, and I recommend this to anyone looking for a warm dish with the flavors of fall but without all the fat and calories!  And if you have a crock pot, IT IS SO FRIGGEN EASY!

Here is the base recipe:
  • 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed.  You can use the precut stuff, just get two packages! You want 3lb (6 cups).
  • 1 can of coconut milk 14oz
  • 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 apple (any kind), peeled, cored and cubed
  • 1 cup of carrots, chopped 
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg





This base will get you an amazing soup, but I decided to elevate it with these amazing options:
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • 6 oz crispy bacon 



Basically, chop everything up and put into your crock pot! 



Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 5-6 hours (depends on how much time you have!).  You'll know when it is ready, it will be bubbling, the squash will be very tender and easily squished with a wooden spoon.  Every hour or so, I stirred everything around but I don't think that is totally necessary. 

Once you've determined your concoction is ready, open the lid of the crock pot and let it air out for about 10 minutes. You will be happy you did once you start blending! You don't want to burn yourself!

If you don't have an emulsion blender, let this mixture cool, then put into a blender and blend!!!
If you have an emulsion blender, have at it! I left a few chunks because Louis and I both like a little bit of texture. Yes it will look like baby food, but that's the point! It is a bisque! Not Campbell's chunky chicken noodle soup!  I actually sauteed chicken on the stovetop and chopped it up and put it on the bottom of each bowl and poured the soup on top. This added texture, and heightened the protein content which we both were looking for after working out hard a few hours earlier.


The macros for this soup are sooo much better than Panera's!!! 

 
Panera:  350 cal for 1.5 cups
Elena: 201 cal for 1.5 cups

Panera: 18g fat (7g saturated fat)
Elena: 6g fat (4g saturated fat)

Panera: 1240mg Sodium
Elena: 150mg Sodium

Panera: 1g Protein
Elena: 7g Protein

Panera: 31g Sugar
Elena: 9g Sugar 
(ALL NATURAL! from apples & squash)
 
So delicious! I added 1 strip of crispy bacon on top for garnish! Can we just revisit the thought that my macros INCLUDED BACON! Panera's did not, and they still lose!


I added some cinnamon on top too, because it is fall. And there is no limit on cinnamon.



My love thoroughly enjoyed his portion!



Yea.. GONE!

In short, Panera is no where near as healthy as it advertises.. And you can ALWAYS whip up something better for your body with just a little more effort! I threw this all together after yoga this morning, around 11am, and then forgot about it! That is the beauty of the crock pot.

So whip this up and let me know what you think! I promise you will not be disappointed, and to my friends who live far away and can't experience the actual season of fall (cough couch Nick and Marissa), make this and instantly feel transported back to the Northeast!

-Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment