Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Hydrangea Cake

My mom said cake.. the lemon rosemary cake I made her for her birthday with the almond buttercream... that is what she wanted me to make for Easter Sunday. No question!

This cake is work.. you have to be so careful with the mixing of the egg whites and the meringue and making sure not a spot of oil is ANYWHERE in the kitchen so the meringue rises and then folding it into the batter. It's carefully executed, like a science experiment. 

She wanted me to make the rose bud cake again and I really wanted to, so gorgeous and lovely, but I wanted something brighter. Bolder. Whimsical.

I had seen a post about a hydrangea cake on one of my favorite blogs, I am Baker, and fell in love instantly.  I needed to try it! I obsessed over it actually, sneaking looks of it every day, creating the process in my head of how I was going to execute this thing! Finally I just went for it.



I added more rosemary this time around to my cake batter and the kitchen smelled like herbacious, lemony heaven as they baked. I held back a bit on the almond extract for my buttercream, so it was a bit more muted but still delicious. It crusted like a dream, which is super important when piping things like flowers.

To create the hydrangea petals, I used a 2M tip normally used for drop flowers.


When I piped, I added a lot of pressure, twisted, and released.  When you cram each one in, it starts to look like hydrangeas! This is one way of doing it.. Another would be to use a 104 tip and pipe each individual petal, which would take forever and is a bit methodical. I wanted this to be crazy, and fun, sort of all over the place.


The key to the multi-tone petals was to first, add a thin layer of white to my piping bag with a knife and spread it all around the outside, then add my colored buttercream on the inside.


I love how some of the flowers folded over, to give an authentic look. 


I was nervous about this one, but once I started going, it was super easy.. Icing on the cake! 



A little piece of confection perfection!


My little cousin Katie was enjoying the cake pops from yesterday's post! Little cutie!


I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter, a sunny day spent with family is always good!

-Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment