Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Anything is Possible for Restaurant Impossible!

"You're off to great places,
today is your day,
your mountain is waiting,
so get on your way" - Dr. Seuss


Well, this has been one hell of a week to say the least and it's only Wednesday!

For about two years now, I have been working for a catering company in Springfield on a need basis.  Their kitchen is too small to produce desserts, but often their customers want them at their event so they give me a call and I make it happen! 

On Friday the owner called me and told me she was hired to prepare food for the cast and crew of Food Network's hit show Restaurant Impossible while they shoot a show at a restaurant outside of Springfield, in Wilbraham MA. She said Food Network was demanding cupcakes, and needed me to do them!
Naturally, I freaked out a little. I am a Food Network junkie, love every show, loveee Robert Irvine.. just WOW!  But she wasn't sure of what she needed and I did not hear from her until Monday at 4pm when she pulled the trigger on the thing.  She wanted cupcakes and we decided to throw in cake pops as a break from the norm, and it was all going to be Dr. Seuss themed since she was trying to fit a theme of Springfield... and Dr. Seuss was from Springfield!
Now anyone who knows me and Lou knows, Dr. Seuss holds a special place in our relationship. Oh how I love the Doctor. 

So after working til midnight on day one, and with the help of my lovely mother, working until 9pm on day 2, they were complete! 

Now this order wasn't huge or overly complicated, I just had nothing planned! Not one cake baked.. No buttercream made.. nothing.  Usually I plan my orders far in advance and get cakes baked and frozen and so on so I am not scrambling every night to finish, since I do have a full time job.  So this was a challenge.  


I think they came out great! Very fun, whimsical and very Dr. Seuss. 


Green eggs anyone? 

 The Cat's Hats.
 So my mom came with me to deliver the pops to the restaurant in Wilbraham, MA.. It was a tight spot for the catering crew up we made it work (even being on a giant hill, I thought the cakes were gonna slide right off the trays!) 



I even found a Dr. Seuss font generator for my taste cards ;)


 So after I left, I received a text from the owner of the catering company who told me every cake was gone, the Food Network crew ate them all and absolutely raved over them.  It made me so happy to hear! So So So So happy!!!!
A huge thanks to my mom for helping me out with the tedious fondant work, for doing the dishes, for delivering them with me! To my friend Becky for giving me instant inspiration when I found out the theme! To Louis for dealing with a very messy apartment for two days (or well, all the time!) To my brother Nick for being my social media marketer and sharing my page all over Facebook! And to my Dad for bringing my Mom and I dinner yesterday after working insanely hard! 
Most of all, thank you to everyone who posted support on my social media outlets.. Can't believe the overwhelming responses to my posts, wishing me luck. I am especially lucky for such great people in my life! 

Each day I spend doing this stuff, the more I love it and the more serious I get in trying to find a place to get this thing off the ground. This opportunity was VERY amazing and I am just feeling so ambitious and so lucky and especially THANKFUL.  Going to keep chasing my dreams.. and you should too!
Dr Seuss Picture Quotes Funny And Inspiring: Quote Of Dr. Seuss Choose One Of Direction
Isn't Dr. Seuss just the best? :)
-Elena

2 comments:

  1. You are Amazing......Oh..The places you'll gooooooooooooooo.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are simply amazing....just like YOU. Glad to help and support you in any way possible. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete