Thursday, March 12, 2015

"Bikini Ready" Greek Feta Basil Turkey Burgers

The snow is melting and the sun is shining and that means one thing -- bikini season is around the corner! As is wedding season... 

I've worked hard this winter to stay in the gym, despite long hours at work and no sunlight! I hate going home in the dark, going to the gym in the dark, coming out in the dark. It's all so depressing! But Louis and I did a good job at motivating each other to go, and honestly, seeing the results has made it SO EASY to get there.  Biceps, triceps, shoulders, glutes.. I see changes everywhere! And the fact that I had to use a bobby pin today to cinch my pants is the biggest reward! 

I have to credit my recent "body win" to a few things.

First, is an app that I absolutely love, called My Macros + which has helped me keep on track. It calculates your macros for you based on body fat you want to lose!  The My Macros + app has a bar code scanner, recipe maker and has access to the macros of basically every food, restaurant and beverage out there! I love it! It also has a compatible app called My Workouts + which has been great for tracking my workouts and targeting certain body areas. 



Secondly, meal prep. People find meal prep tedious.. I love it! If you're planning on making chicken breast for dinner, why not make 5 servings of it for work too?  I've been throwing 7-8 breasts in the crock pot with spices and boom, at least 10 portions of 4oz protein ready to go! I mix that with a cup of veggies (fresh or frozen) and 1/2 cup brown rice or sweet potato and I have lunch for the whole week!  That with the addition of fresh fruit, a protein bar and yogurt has helped me achieve the results I am looking for. 


Third, and least favorite-- skipping alcohol and cutting back on sugar. Which means sweets.. Which is hard. OH so hard.. But I credit Arctic Zero for releasing new delicious flavors like sea salt caramel and mint choco chip.. Never did I think non-dairy icecream would be appealing.. But I find myself craving it! And knowing half the pint is NO fat and only 75 calories is so comforting. Mixed with a little FF whipped cream and it's a dream come true for dieters!



Lastly, the food scale has helped me a ton. I've always dabbled with it, and always use it when baking, but the My Macros + app makes you measure EVERYTHING, and since weighing out all of my foods I've seen a major difference in how my body feels, and reacts to exercise and clean eating in general. It is so easy to overeat, and you don't realize it until you really see what 4oz of chicken really is! (No, it's not the entire chicken breast!)

If you're sick of chicken like I was this week, give these delicious Greek-style turkey burgers a try! They are protein packed, low carb and full of flavor and nutrients! I eat them with brown rice and veggies and they make a scrumptious lunch!


Greek Turkey Burgers

Makes 8 - 3oz burgers 
160 Calories / burger with P:17.17/C:4.34/F:8.19

1.2 lb package Lean Ground Turkey 
2 Eggs
1/4 C Instant Oatmeal, dry 
1.5 oz Feta Cheese 
3 tbs Ground Flaxseed Meal (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1 Medium White Onion
Fresh Basil, as desired 
Spices, as desired (I used oregano, black pepper, garlic, red pepper)
Coconut oil, for frying

Combine these ingredients.  Add some coconut oil to your pan and get it hot, around 350 degrees.  Plop your burgers in and fry each side for about 5 minutes. Make sure they are cooked through, internal temp should be 165 degrees. Plate and serve! So easy!




I like this recipe not only for the protein, but you also get a healthy dose of Omega-3 fatty acids that your body needs from the egg and flaxseed meal! You can throw that stuff in anything -- breads, pancakes, waffles, protein shakes, and it will help hit your healthy fat macro for a serving! Also, don't skip the fresh basil!! It totally ties in all the flavors and is very necessary! 


I portioned my food for yesterday so I'd have some carbs/fat left for dinnertime in order to accommodate my french fry craving, and a hamburger bun :) The whole meal with the bun, fries, cup of vegetables was turkey burger was 419 calories, P: 23.8/C: 52/ F:12.9! For an entire dinner! 


The hour I spent yesterday meal prepping is rewarding come lunch time the next day :) YUM!

Beat that, McDonalds!!! 

What are you doing to stay on "bikini bod" target? 

-Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment