Monday, October 7, 2013

Cake Pops for Awareness

It is national Breast Cancer Awareness month and pink is IN! Football teams and baseball teams are wearing it, there are walks to raise money and awareness going on in cities nationwide, and there is no better time than now to spread love to those who have been suffering or have suffered from cancer.

Cancer sucks. There’s no other way to put it and why be polite about it? There is just nothing good about cancer. It touches everyone in some way—a spouse, a parent, a sibling, a teacher, a coworker, a coach..we all know someone with a form of it.  My grandmother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is now in remission. She is one of the lucky ones.  Unfortunately it is a plague we all have to deal with.  The world would be a better place without it.

My brother’s girlfriend Marissa works with a woman named Jenn who has battled two types of cancer.  They were participating in a walk for a cure for breast and uterine cancer, and asked for me to make some cake pops to enjoy after their walk!  The cakes were enjoyed by all and I received a very sweet note from Jenn afterwards thanking me for thinking of her and incorporating the colors and ribbons.  It really touched my heart and I was so happy Marissa asked me to provide these little cakes that bring so much joy to people. I have said it before and I will say it again—I do this because I love it. I absolutely love creating beautiful little bites of food for someone who is going through a rough time and needs a smile. There is nothing better!

These were vanilla, red velvet and pumpkin spice cakes, and I used chocolate molds for the pink (breast cancer) and teal (uterine cancer) ribbons.  I was able to order some breast cancer awareness ribbons in tiny sprinkles, which I loved! So adorable! I finished them off with a quick spritz of edible pearl spray to give them a glitzy, girly feel.  Very perfect for the occasion and fitting for Breast Cancer Awareness Month!





-Elena 

2 comments:

  1. I am the "infamous" Jenn and I had to comment. Not only did your amazing thoughtfulness fill my heart with joy but your extraordinarily delicious cake pops filled mine and Team Jenn's walkers tummies with yummy goodness. I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete