Saturday, October 19, 2013

Victory Cookies

It was a sunny morning in Connecticut and I was getting dressed, filled of excitement.  We were getting ready to hop in the car and head to Boston for the Red Sox game.  I asked my mom what the weather would be like, and she said it should be warm and sunny, as the sun was shining in CT and assumed it would be in Boston too.  We drove to the game, only to find clouds, but no rain, so we proceeded into Fenway Park.  As the game started, the wind picked up and the temperature dropped.  My brother and I were freezing, wearing shorts and t-shirts, and my Dad kept taking us under the stands to get food to keep warm.  I remember wrapping the plastic bag from the pizza stand around my arms to keep warm.  It was freezing!  Eventually my Dad ran to the car and brought back a sheet and we both huddled under it, cheering for our favorite team.  It didn't matter how cold and miserable we were, because we were in the best place in the entire world.  I'll never forget that game!

My brother and I grew up at Fenway, literally.  My parents took me to my first game when I was 5 and we were going to games every two weeks or so.  My parents never cared if we were up late on a school night... Dad would call Mom and ask if we wanted to go because he got free tickets from Coca Cola, so off we went. Coke box, 600 Club, bleacher seats.. we sat in them all!  At the time, we lived only 20 minutes north of the city.  When we moved to Connecticut, it was harder to get free tickets but we still went regularly.  I have been a fan my entire life. 


 Fenway Park is my favorite place to be. You may get older, and the park may add new seats or more ads on the Green Monster, but the Fenway experience never changes.  The smell of The Sausage King's onions and peppers fill the air as you approach the stadium, and boys standing on milk crates try to sell the game's magazine for a few bucks.  You enter the stadium and it is bustling with people rushing around, getting pretzels and beer, trying to find their seats.  The stadium is old.  You dodge pillars in the middle of your path, the floor is uneven, the wooden seats are tiny and cramped but that is what makes it so great. There's 100 years of history in that place.

The Red Sox are different than any other team in baseball.  Being a Sox fan is like being a part of a giant family.  You see a stranger in the store with a Sox hat on, and you're instantly bonded. There is that sense of unity.  The Sox can make you the happiest person alive, or they can break your heart.  Luckily, I've seen them win 2 world series (hopefully 3!) in my lifetime.  Before 2004 they hadn't won in 86 years...There are fans who literally never saw them win one.  Heartbreaking!

So, here we are tonight playing for our spot in the 2013 World Series!  It is an exciting time to be a Boston fan! In the spirit, I decided to make some flooded cookies in Boston's honor! I am sort of becoming obsessed with flooded cookies.  It is becoming a problem because I don't know what to do with all the cookie cutters I keep ordering on Amazon.

I decided to go with a chocolate sugar cookie. This recipe is delicious, the cookies taste like brownie ends.. SO GOOD! So I started by whipping butter, sugar and cocoa powder and essentially made chocolate butter. I could have stopped here, because it was so delectable I wanted to toast a bagel and spread this on!



But I didn't. I proceeded with the cookies. I ordered some awesome Red Sox licensed cookie cutters on Amazon (help I am addicted, seriously) and then baked for 8 minutes. The results were thin little cookies that are surprisingly chewy but hard enough the withstand royal icing.  


So, I spent this fall Saturday piping my little heart out, decked out in my "We Own The East" shirt for good luck!




Whipped up some royal icing. You know royal icing is ready when it looks like this--Elmer's Glue! If it drizzles into the bown and disappears within 3 seconds, it's ready for flooding.


I started with baseballs, using the toothpick technique to create the stitching.  



The Boston "B" logo was my favorite! A challenging pattern to pipe but it really ties it all together.




And here's the finished product!! 






I am really happy with how they came out.  I am going to continue to work on my piping skills, to clean up my edging... But otherwise, I am excited to enjoy them with my boyfriend tonight while we watch the game, and package a few up for my coworker Pete who is a giant Red Sox fan! He called them "Victory Cookies"! Let's hope we come out on top tonight and win our ticket to the 2013 World Series!  Fear the Beards! GO SOX!

-Elena




No comments:

Post a Comment