Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Floodgates Have Been Opened...

This week I finally completed something I have wanted to do for a very long time-- flooding cookies!

I have read so much about cookie flooding and royal icing and watched so many youtube videos and I am absolutely fascinated with these cookies! The possibilities are limited to the cookie cutters you have but after that, they are endless! So many colors, shapes, flavors... I was asked by a neighbor if I could make some sugar cookies for her son and daughter-in-law's "Gender Reveal" party this weekend, and of course I said "Sure I can do those!" No, Elena. You can't possibly know you can do them, you've never done them! BUT, I am an experimenter and my skills are becoming more refined so I went for it!

First, I had to create the dough. I used a recipe for a thicker sugar cookie, one that could withstand heavy royal icing.  Three cups of flour, 2 sticks of butter, some sugar, an egg and some extract is all it takes to get a nice crumbly dough. I decided on pure almond extract for a flavoring, as I think it is a more mature flavoring than the boring, old vanilla.  I wanted these things to smell mouthwatering.. and the dough was just that. Smelled SO GOOD. So I kneaded the dough and rolled it out and cut out some adorable shapes...

How cute are the onesies!!??! Then, I mentally tied my hands behing my back (for no other reason than to stop myself from shoving all this delicious, almondy, buttery dough into my mouth) and threw these suckers in the oven. 350 degrees for 9 minutes.


Boom. Done. Beautiful little rattles and bibs!

Now it was time for some royal icing. Royal icing is very heavy and thick, but it contains NO oil like a buttercream icing does, so it hardens like candy and is used for piping decorations and when watered down, for flooding! So I whipped some up. Meringue powder, some water, corn syrup (for shine) and some almond extract.

I used this to outline each cookie.  You need the heavy icing to keep the "flood" in the cookie! So you outline the cookie first, then take the rest of the icing and water it down to the consistency of Elmer's school glue.  Then I had to color it with my beautiful Atecco, water based icing colors.  So gorgeous.


 AAAAAANDDDD the flooding began! I flooded onesies.



I flooded rattles... baby elephants... I flooded bibs.. I flooded everything.



Flood Flood Flood. It's like playing with glue as a child in kindergarten. The onesies were just my favorite. In case you are wondering how I got the designs.. Once you flood the cookie, while it is still wet you drop in another color, then you can use a toothpick to swirl it or cut it to makes tye-dye or hearts!  I added some cute sugar pearls as buttons and some candy hearts as bows. It is always the fine details that really get people's attention.


And.. finished product! 

My lines are not perfect on the edge.. but other than that I am super happy with how they came out, especially being that this is my first time ever flooding. I will definitely do it again soon... I think I have created a monster here... the floodgates are open... let the cookie flooding obsession begin. 

-Elena


2 comments:

  1. I Love this Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, from a beautiful gal inside and out ! Love u !

    ReplyDelete